6/22/2012 - JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. -- Below are safety tips for a smooth road trip for those in the road-trip planning phase.
1. Give their vehicles a checkup. Change the oil, top off all fluids, check the tires and ensure licensing and insurance are up to date.
2. Pre-plan the trip. Travelers should check the weather in both the areas they will be driving through and the final destination.
3. Input the address into the navigator prior to leaving.
4. Find a good companion to drive with them. A good friend can help the trip go safer and faster.
5. Take a break, not only driving, but from sitting as well. Drivers should walk around and stretch during the break.
6. Be prepared for their regular radio station to become static while traveling. Drivers should keep their hands on the wheel and have the passenger change the music.
7. Bring sunglasses and sunscreen. Sunglasses will prevent squinting and eye strain and the sunscreen will prevent sunburn while driving.
8. Avoid traffic tickets by wearing seat belts, using turn signals and driving the posted speed limit.
9. Bring their own food and drinks. This will save money. Travelers should stop and eat instead of eating while driving. Drivers and passengers can leave the car to stretch during food breaks.
10. Not wait until their cars are on "E" to get gas. This could leave the driver and passengers stranded in an unfamiliar place forcing them to walk long distances for assistance.
11. Plan for unexpected detours. Road construction may occur in certain areas, so travelers should be sure to be prepared for stops.