|COL. JAMES C. HODGES|
Col. James C. Hodges is the 87th Air Base Wing commander and Installation Commander, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J. Colonel Hodges provides installation support to more than 80 mission partners at the Department of Defense's only tri-service joint base. He is also responsible for providing mission-ready expeditionary Airmen and Sailors to combatant commanders in support of joint and combined operations.
Colonel Hodges graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1991. As a career civil engineer, he has served in a variety of staff positions at the base, major command, joint, multinational, and Pentagon levels. He has also commanded at the squadron and group level. His contingency experience includes service as a commander of an expeditionary civil engineer squadron in Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and as a joint-multinational staff officer in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. Colonel Hodges is a licensed Professional Engineer in Arkansas.
1991 Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1996 Master of Science degree in engineering and policy, Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
1996 Outstanding Graduate and Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts degree in organizational management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2004 Army Command and General Staff College, Combined Arms Center, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Antiterrorism Level IV Executive Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2012 USAF Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flager Business School, University of North Carolina, N.C.
1. August 1991 - August 1993, Engineer, 384th Civil Engineer Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
2. August 1993 - December 1994, Chief, Maintenance Engineering Element, (May - September 1994, acting Chief, Operations Flight), 22nd Civil Engineer Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
3. December 1994 - June 1997, staff officer, Planning and Programming Division, Directorate of Civil Engineering, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
4. July 1997 - June 1999, student, Air Force Intern Program, Office of the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Defense Programs and Office of the Air Force Civil Engineer, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1999 - July 2000, Commander, Resources Flight, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
6. July 2000 - May 2001, Deputy Chief, Pollution Prevention Branch, Environmental Division, Directorate of Civil Engineering, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. May 2001 - May 2002, Aide-de-Camp to the Superintendent, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
8. June 2002 - June 2003, Instructor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, USAF Academy, Colo.
9. June 2003 - June 2004, student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Combined Arms Center, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. July 2004 - July 2006, Lead Analyst, Resources Division, Office of the Civil Engineer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2006 - August 2008, Commander, 3rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (January 2008 - July 2008, Commander, 407th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Ali Air Base, Iraq)
12. August 2008 - July 2010, Joint Staff Officer, then Chief of Operations Support, then Chief of Plans, Deployable Joint Staff Element 2, NATO Allied Force Command, Heidelberg, Germany (January 2010 - July 2010, Chief, CJ37 Division, Operational Training, Lessons Learned, and Liaison Officer Coordination, Headquarters International Security Assistance Force, Kabul, Afghanistan)
13. July 2010 - June 2011, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2011 - July 2013, Commander, 6th Mission Support Group, MacDill AFB, Fla.
15. July 2013 - Present, Commander, 87th Air Base Wing, and Installation Commander, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2008 - July 2010, Joint Staff Officer, then Chief of Operations Support, then Chief of Plans, Deployable Joint Staff Element 2, NATO Allied Force Command, Heidelberg, Germany, as a lieutenant colonel and a colonel
2. January 2010 - July 2010, Chief, CJ37 Division, Operational Training, Lessons Learned, and Liaison Officer Coordination, Headquarters International Security Assistance Force, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a colonel
3. July 2013 - Present, Commander, 87th Air Base Wing, and Installation Commander, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J., as a colonel
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Academy of Fellows, Society of American Military Engineers, 2008
Tau Beta Pi, the national engineering honor society, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo., 2003
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major April 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2009